Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Losing



"Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even'
-Ali

Losing can be one of the hardest things in the world; it can also be the best. When you put so much of  yourself into something, your heart, soul, time, and then not come out on top, it can kill you. But it can take you to new levels that you could never dream of; it can teach you things about yourself and others that you would never know.

I lost my very first fight and it was the best thing that could have happened for me. I don't know where I would be today if I had won that fight. Fighting was always my dream, I wanted it so badly. I busted my ass day in and day out. I sacrificed everything, friends, family, and a normal life. Then when I lost, it felt like the world collapsed in on me. But that feeling passed, as soon as I realized that I had just taken a huge step in going after my dream. Goals aren't always about getting them exactly how you want them. Sure it would be great to always win, but if you always win then something's wrong. Either you really are the greatest in the entire world (which is impossible, especially in fighting) or you just aren't in there with the right people. There are so many people out there with these padded records that run around thinking that they are the greatest. But they know that they aren't testing themselves and if you're not testing yourself then what's the point. Are you here just to have this record that's perfect so you can put it in people's faces and feed your massive ego? We all know people like this. They prance around acting like they are the greatest thing in the world but when they look back at there career years from now; they are going to realize that they were babied. I have ten times more respect for people that get in there and lose to someone tough then for someone who constantly goes in there and beats up on people they have no business fighting(just so they can act like they are the best). Unfortunately there are way too many of these fighters around, especially in the states. These people are cowards. Shoot for the stars, don't settle for anything less. It is much better to lose to someone great then to beat someone that's not.

It's real easy for people to go after things when they're on top, when they're winning. It's easy for someone to keep their head up when things are going their way. But a true test of someone is when they are flat on their backs with all the odds against them. Do they get up and ask for more or do they stay down. The best part about losing is it truly shows who you are. It helps you take a look at yourself on the inside. There are a lot of things that you don't ask yourself when everything's going your way. But as soon as it doesn't, the questions start coming and that's when you can show who you really are. There ain't no shame in losing, there's only shame in getting beat. It also shows you a lot about the people around you. Who's there when you're on the bottom and whose there when you're on the top? Who's there when you're a nobody and who shows up as soon as you start getting some attention?

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down or how badly, as long as you get back up. You want to see the true soul of a person, see how they act when they are flat on there back with everything stacked against them. These things I say are often about fighting but it applies to all aspects of life. What I want more than anything in this world is to affect people in a positive way. I want to inspire people to change their lives to go after their dreams and live life the way it should be. I can't tell all of you how much I appreciate you words about how I have helped you out. Every time I write something new I think that it isn't very good and that I am just rambling and every time I get countless e mails telling me that my words were exactly what someone needed to hear. This means the world to me so please keep them coming and I will keep writing.
God bless you all!

"The glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time you fall." - Chinese Proverb

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
Nelson Mandela

"I would rather die on my fight than live on my knees"

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6.3.09

    hey kevin you really inspire me alot with everything you write. Sometimes i don't know whats up with my life but every time i read what you write i always get inspired.You are great and i believe God is using you greatly by motivating people to follow their dream.I would like for you to see the video ARE YOU GOING TO FINISH STRONG on youtube.And keep your blogs up their great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with "Anonymous". In living your dream, the Lord is also using you to help/inspire others. The fact that you're not afraid to speak about your faith also tells a great deal about the kind of person you are.

    Over the past few days of reading your posts, I've come across something... You're inspiring me to carry on pushing for my dreams. Everything you write is the same type of things that I used to write about when I kept a regular blog a few years back, and just reading your posts re-affirms my beliefs, so THANK YOU.

    The quote by Nelson Mandela (I wish he was still our president) just hit home with me. I've been hiding in the background, afraid to reveal what's truly inside me... Afraid to shine. I was always the kid that would get into trouble if I was too loud or "showing off", so over the years I've gotten into the bad habit of keeping a low profile. Afraid to show people what I'm made of, what I'm GOOD at. I'm still learning to "undo" that, and your blog encourages me a great deal.

    Once again, Kevin, THANK YOU, and I pray that God continues to bless you beyond all you could hope or dream.

    P.S. If you get the chance, I invite you to check out my blog. I've only got two posts so far, so it's not a lot of reading. ;) I gave you and Gina a mention (if you don't mind).

    ReplyDelete