Friday, January 11, 2013

Ten Years of Muay Thai


Ten years ago today was the first time I ever walked into a Muay Thai gym (Master Toddy’s). In some ways time has completely flown by yet at the same time it has been the longest, toughest journey of my life. I have been so blessed to have countless friends, family and fans around me that have helped my down this road. Even if it was something as simple as someone saying that they enjoyed watching me fight, every little bit has helped. There were plenty of times that I wanted to quit and plenty more where I just didn’t think I had it in me to keep doing this. The years spent living in the gym, all the injuries, never having money or being able to spend time with friends and family, those were the times when people’s words of encouragement really meant the most. Unfortunately it would be literally impossible for me to thank everyone, as there have been so many, but here are a few key people that have really stood out for me over the years. I know that I have left people out and I’m sorry, I love and appreciate you all!

To my good friend Moe: I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you. You were the first person to ever encourage and believe in my dreams, and the only person I ever told them to. After you passed it destroyed me and I never thought I would recover, yet loosing you was the thing that inspired me to go after my dreams. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about you. I love you man, rest easy.

Gina: You were the one who made me want more out of life, the one that inspired me to never settle and always look to improve. You instilled in me the need to always strive for greatness and to be happy with what I have yet never to become stagnant. I will always love you.
            
           Dad: Not only did you help me out financially to get started but you also made a deal with me to continue helping me as long as I quit drinking. And even after that first year when all I wanted was one drink to celebrate, which at the time I didn’t think was a big deal and thought that I deserved, you said no and kept me where I needed to be and for that I am forever grateful.
           
           Master Chan (my first trainer). You are the one that got me started and gave me the tools and teachings that are still with me today. I am so grateful to always have you as a coach and a friend. Thank you for everything Sir. And a thank you to all of the trainers that have helped me over the years: Master Toddy, Lookchang, Thonglor, Ronnie Green, Saohin, Don House, Jesse Reid Jr and Sr, and Kirian Fitzgibbons. My first conditioning coach Norm Turner and my current one Jesse Burdick. And to the gyms Sitkuanim, Sassiprapa, Sitsongpeenong, Sitmonchai and anywhere else that has allowed me to stop by and work out over the years.
           
           Anthony Brown(my road dawg). You were the first person to ever tell me that I was going to be a great fighter. All those years ago you saw potential in me and I’ll never forget how much that meant to and inspired me. Even in the beginning when I was just starting out you always had time to help me out and give me advice, I can’t even tell you how much I learned from you. Traveling all over the world, all the crazy situations we found ourselves in, I wouldn’t have been able to get threw them if it weren’t for you being there with me. Can’t believe we survived them all…literally! Thank you for always being there for me brotha!!

Dorian. You once told me, in the very beginning, that I was going to do for Muay Thai in America what Ramon Dekkers did for Thai boxing in Holland. I was always grateful for that encouragement but I never put much thought into it. But over the years you would always say things like that and looking back now I just can’t believe where I’m at. Not saying I’m on Dekkers level or anything but having you say those things to me, all the way back in the beginning, has always stuck with me man and I thank you for always believing in and encouraging me. I love you brotha!

Dawn: You were always there for me in and out of the ring, still are. Training with me every day, running with me every morning, us being alone in the freezing gym first thing in the mornings hitting the rock hard bags, working with The Devil (Norm) with me. More than anything anytime I ever needed a smile, laugh or just someone to binge on junk food with, I knew I could count on you. No matter how tough times get you are always there with your beautiful smile and laughter. I will cherish our time together for the rest of my life.

Mr Dayel: I always loved the days we trained together. I was always alone in the gym at the butt crack of dawn hitting the bags alone until the day you moved to Vegas. It was so great having someone to keep me motivated. You sharpness and technique always inspired me. I always wished that one day I was going to be able to see you get in there and fight Muay Thai, as I knew you could have been one of the best, but we all have different paths man and it’s been a privilege watching yours.

Mark Beecher: You came to the gym when I really didn’t have many people to work with anymore. I looked up to you man and it was great finally having a training partner. Training 3 times a day every day, beating each other up every single day, what the hell were we thinking hahaha. We’ve been all over the world together, training and fighting. At first both of us fighting on the same cards and cornering each other at the same time. Always felt safe having you there with me man. I wish we could continue to fight on cards together but we all have a limited time to do this and I just appreciate the times we did have. Thank you for always being there for me, in and out of the ring.

Chaz Mulkey: I remember when you first started training with us. Mark and I would just beat the crap out of you every single day and you would always come back the next with the same motivation. I knew then that you would be a great fighter one day. It has been a real pleasure watching you come up over the years and see the progress that you have made. You’ve always taken every fight that comes your way, no matter how high the odds were stacked against you, and that is something that I’ve always admired and part of the reason you’ve progressed as quickly as you have. I gotta tell you though, it was a lot easier training with you when you weren’t as good hahaha.

Ben Garcia: I always looked up to you from day one man. Your drive, determination, work ethic, humbleness, you truly showed me what it means to be a fighter, a real fighter. I have always aimed to be as good as you one day, even though you say I passed you up I still look up to you.

Kirian: Where do I even begin. You have done more for me then I could even hope to thank you for. There are no words I could say that could ever sum up my appreciation for you and for everyone at CSA. I am so grateful to have all of you in my life and look forward to the years ahead.









29 comments:

  1. Anonymous11.1.13

    What the hell why no shout out to kit cope? He was your teacher?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahahaha that's cute

      Delete
  2. Anonymous17.1.13

    Howdy! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!
    My weblog ... cheap nfl jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous24.1.13

    I have read so many posts about the blogger lovers but this article is actually a nice post,
    keep it up.
    Feel free to visit my web page : louis vuitton online outlet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2.2.13

    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous20.2.13

    I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I'm quite sure I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next!
    Also see my page :: louis vuitton outlet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous23.2.13

    Thanks for the marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.
    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will often come back in the future.
    I want to encourage yourself to continue your great posts, have a nice
    afternoon!
    Here is my web page - louis vuitton ready-to wear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous24.2.13

    Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet
    my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    Also visit my blog : louis vuitton surya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't,sorry, and thank you

      Delete
  8. Anonymous26.2.13

    Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm absolutely enjoying your blog
    and look forward to new posts.
    My website :: louis vuitton sistina gm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes @dasoulassassin, thank you

      Delete
  9. Anonymous27.2.13

    I usually do not drop a lot of remarks, however i did a few searching and wound up here "Ten Years of Muay Thai".
    And I do have some questions for you if you usually do not mind.
    Is it simply me or does it look as if like some of the responses
    appear like coming from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are posting on
    other sites, I'd like to keep up with everything new you have to post. Would you make a list of the complete urls of all your community sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
    My web site :: louis vuitton spring 2012 runway show

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous27.2.13

    I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you design this website yourself or did you hire
    someone to do it for you? Plz reply as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thank you
    My blog post - fashion show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I just used blogger.com and they have templates

      Delete
  11. Anonymous27.2.13

    I am sure this post has touched all the internet users, its
    really really fastidious piece of writing on building
    up new blog.

    Also visit my weblog: supra shoes for sale

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous27.2.13

    You should be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality
    websites online. I will recommend this website!

    Also visit my site; louis vuitton outlet store

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous28.2.13

    Appreciating the time and effort you put into your website
    and detailed information you present. It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same unwanted
    rehashed information. Great read! I've bookmarked your site and I'm including
    your RSS feeds to my Google account.
    My website louis vuitton monogram multicolor greta

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1.3.13

    It's perfect time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice.

    Maybe you could write next articles referring
    to this article. I wish to read more things about it!



    Take a look at my blog - Cheap Clarisonic Mia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1.3.13

    Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It is the little changes
    that make the greatest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!
    My web blog louis vuitton monogram multicolor

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1.3.13

    Thanks for your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.
    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will come back someday.
    I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great job,
    have a nice evening!
    Feel free to surf my page :: michael kors bag

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3.3.13

    What you published made a ton of sense. However, consider this, what
    if you were to write a killer title? I ain't saying your information isn't good.
    , but what if you added a title to maybe grab a person's attention? I mean "Ten Years of Muay Thai" is kinda vanilla. You should glance at Yahoo's home page and
    watch how they create news titles to grab viewers to click.
    You might add a related video or a pic or two to grab people excited
    about everything've written. In my opinion, it might make your posts a little livelier.

    My blog christian louboutin discount

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous3.3.13

    Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon every day.

    It's always interesting to read content from other writers and use something from other sites.

    Feel free to surf to my blog justin bieber shoes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous4.3.13

    I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy
    on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more often.

    Did you hire out a designer to create your theme? Fantastic work!


    my blog post - louis vuitton bags on sale
    My website :: louis vuitton bags on sale

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous4.3.13

    Hello! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading through your blog
    posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with
    the same topics? Thanks!

    Here is my web page ... hermes outlet
    My webpage > hermes outlet

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4.3.13

    Thanks for one's marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author. I will make certain to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the future. I want to encourage continue your great job, have a nice afternoon!

    Also visit my page: Fake Ray Bans

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous10.3.13

    Keep this going please, great job!

    Take a look at my web blog: supra shoes for sale

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous3.9.13

    ROSS:

    there is some thing inherently wrong with your style of thai fighting !

    if was not for you un-natural ability to breath and not get tired you would never ever be in this sport ..
    you have a very high VOmax ..

    what is it with this rabbit like jumping around the ring ?

    you only have two elbow techniques.
    perhaps two clinch throws at most.

    with them serious deficiency`s you cant do well in Thailand against real muay thai fighters .

    you should have lived and trained in Thailand early on in your carrear ..for prolonged periods of training time.

    you are a product of toddy and your training partners, mis-interpertations of muay thai !!

    I am so hard but got good eyes for the truth.
    the same goes for adanza and schelling .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha thanks for your expert opinion! Maybe you should come show me how it's "supposed" to be done sometime. Keep living the dream brotha, keyboard warriors for life!!!!

      Delete