Monday, August 26, 2013

Gym Warriors

Not sure which is worse, gym warriors or keyboard warriors? Then again they usually go hand in hand. Gonna hafta say that the keyboard warriors edge this one out because at least the gym warriors, at minimum, are in the gym actually doing something. But those same people are often those who sit around on their computers bagging on real fighters who are actually out there day in and day out giving their lives to their art.
You know who they are, the ones in the gym boosting their egos by beating the hell out of all the new, less experienced, or smaller people. Put that same person in the ring, or even into sparring with someone of equal size or experience for that matter, and watch the bitchassness come right out.
Now rarely have I ever seen a true fighter do this, although I’m sure it happens, usually it’s someone that either has never fought or that has fought a handful of times (which usually didn’t go so well) and thinks that makes them the baddest person on earth. It’s the big fish in a small pond mentality. As long as you stay in your gym where you are safe then yeah, I’m sure you can be pretty tough and feel like you’ve made it. But hey, I guess that’s better than the person that sits at home critiquing fighters yet has no clue what it actually takes to get in there.
This is more of a rant than a suggestion, because getting through to these people would be like talking to a wall. Usually delusion goes hand in hand with gym/keyboard warriors, so what’s the point in trying to reach them?
I’m sure this crosses over to all sports and disciplines; maybe that’s just human nature in a lot of ways. Anyone can talk about it, I mean often from the outside it does look easy, particularly when elite athletes are performing so it can be hard not to. I guess the athletes or the ones to blame, ha.
Now granted if you are at a decent gym these types of people will get weeded out rather quickly because the real fighters that are there won’t let something like that go down (and/or the gym owners) for very long. But there’s only so much we can do.
I guess to some, well most, mediocrity is good enough and they are proud of it. For me however, I will always set my sights on those at the peak of whichever sport/profession/etc. that I am pursuing. That’s why I hate watching all my fights and training videos, all I see is where I need to improve and the mistakes I make. Right or wrong it’s what keeps me pushing.
If you ever get to a point where you feel like “I’ve made it” or “I’m the man/woman” than you have truly become an egotistical douchebag. There’s always room to grow, always someone better and there’s always more to be done. The journey has no end!
Rant over… for now.
-El Presidente

No comments:

Post a Comment