Monday, August 26, 2013

Home Towned

 I don’t think that there’s a fighter out there that hasn’t been a victim of a hometown/home-country decision. At the same time I don’t think there’s any that haven’t also benefited from this same thing. It happens, I’m sure there isn’t anyone that thinks it’s fair but it just comes with the territory. It’s so easy for someone to say “oh they just don’t know how to score correctly over there” or “if this was in Thailand I would have won”. Maybe you’re right but guess what, it wasn’t in Thailand, or wherever you may have mentioned.
Right or wrong the problem with this, just like anything else, is it’s a weak excuse to try and save some dignity from a loss. Like it or not when you go fight in someone else’s hometown you need to keep some things in mind and fight accordingly; how they tend to score, what things score higher, do they like to see a more aggressive style, do they give more credit for the fighter pushing the action, etc. Another thing you need to keep in mind is if it’s a close fight, or sometimes it doesn’t even need to be close at all, more than likely they are going to give it to the home town person. Complain about it all you want but you knew this going in, it shouldn’t come as a shock.
I know when I go fight anywhere else in the world, or another state for that matter, I need to make damn certain that the judges know I won that fight, beyond a shadow of a doubt. And even when I’ve done this, even when there’s no way they could have scored it differently, there have been times I’ve still been on the bad side of a home town decision. But, that being said, I never bitched about it, I was never in shock about it, I knew going in that it was a possibility. If you don’t want to risk this then just fight in your backyard your whole career and see how that works out for you. Granted yes, it would be a whole lot easier if there was a uniform way of scoring across the world and there were some kind of robots that could score all fights equal and without bias. But, we are all human and are far from perfect. I’ve judged fights, and tried to be as unbiased as possible, but at the end of the day you will always give one of the fighters a little more credit for certain things than others. Trying to be perfect at judging is basically impossible, so it is easy to criticize. If you want to make excuses fine, but you know the deal going into a fight, like they always say “Don’t leave it in the hands of the judges”. Clearly none of us ever want to leave it to the judges, maybe if we were all Mike Tyson’s this would be a lot easier. But the second the fight goes to decision you have to realize that your job is done and now you’ve put your fate into someone else’s hands and have given them complete control. If you want to complain then complain to yourself about how you should have done better.
On a side note one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say kicks score higher than punches, now this is completely accurate, but, if I land a hard 4 punch combo that even the people in the back can feel your organs shift and you land a little tip tap body kick come on, you gotta give me the nod on that exchange. Little weak front kicks and slapping kicks do very little damage compared to a hard head, body shot, let’s just all be honest, regardless of how we think fights should or shouldn’t be scored. It’d be a lot easier if fights were scored according to who won the “fight”. If you want to run away and just jab, front kick me to death and win fights that way, go for it. I for one will always go for the fighter that brings it win, lose or draw.
These are just my humble opinions, let the hate begin.
-Kevin Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment