Friday, February 21, 2014

Respect

Some people might think this post has something to do with my last fight but I promise you it does not. I started writing this about two weeks ago so just chill....ago maybe it does a little but either way woooooosaaaaahhhh!
I used to say that I had respect for anyone that had the balls to step foot in the ring but over the years that has changed. I've realized that there are plenty of cowards that get in there just so they can call themselves 'fighters'. What I respect is the ones that go in there and give it there all. It has nothing to do with whether you are the best in the world or one of the worst, it's all about your level of commitment, your passion and what you leave I that ring. That's why there are so many fighters that I would rather watch lose any day of the week then others 'win'. Winning and losing is irrelevant! Giving it your all, being true to yourself, leaving everything in there and inspiring others is what truly matters. 

There's so many "fighters" that just half ass it in the gym, maybe fight a handful of times never truly testing themselves, and then try and hold themselves as if they are doing the same thing the true warriors are. Just because you train, and even fight, does not make you a real fighter. A real fighter is someone who gives it there all no matter what. A real fighter is someone who kills themselves day in and day out in preparation and then puts it all on the line, testing themselves each time, and letting the cards fall where they may, no excuses. I could go on and on about fake ass fighters but this isn't really about that, well it is but isn't. 

I have no respect for cowards or people that will do whatever it takes to win, whether that means running the whole time or holding and clinching the whole fight and then trying to pass it off as "tactical". And let's be clear, there's a big difference between clinch fighting and holding on for dear life to kill time so you don't get knocked out. I think it's one of the things that the UFC unfortunately has done to their organization, self inflicted. I mean you look at the fights they had back in the day, or even the ones in Pride, and those guys just went after each other. That's not to say that they don't anymore, it's just that it used to be more about the fight then the end result and that was the rule as opposed to the exception. Nowadays, with all the money involved and the vast amounts of fighters trying to come up, no one wants to risk losing their jobs so most chose to fight 'safe'. I thik it's a major reason the sport, in my eyes, has hit a plateau just as it happened in the Golden eras of boxing as well as Muay Thai.

I think one of the biggest issues is the fact that refs, judges and the every day fan can't tell the difference between fighting with movement and running. The difference between clinching and stalling. The difference between working on the ground and lay and pray. The problem is to the untrained eye it all looks very similar so you have guys passing their bitchassness off as fighting smart. Unless you've been in there it can be pretty difficult to tell the difference and unfortunately most refs and judges never have been, or at least not at any high level. 

One thing Pride did, that I think would really rejuvenate other fighting sports, is implement the yellow card. Trust me, people really start fighting once you threaten to take part of their money away. I'm all for clinching, ground fighting, counter fighting, etc, but there's a big difference between that and just fighting like a sissy. I'm a fighter but I'm also a fan and I want to see people go in there and put it all on the line......but hey, maybe that's just me.

"Face your fears, live your dreams."
-El Presidente'

No comments:

Post a Comment