Friday, June 27, 2014

Pain

The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.”-Al Swearengen (deadwood)

What is it that makes one fighter quit and another push through when things aren't going their way? Why will you see one person get a little cut over there eye, start complaining and find a way out and then see another, that looked as if they got hit in the head with an ax, continue fighting as if nothing even happened? In the face of certain defeat what causes a person to go forward anyway. I don't think this is something easily summed up but I will do my best...from my point of view obviously.

When it really comes down to is heart, but what is heart? Heart, to me, is giving everything that you have for something until there is no more, and then pushing it even further. It's wanting and believing in something so much that it becomes bigger than you. More than any fatigue, any pain, any fear, any doubt. It's like the motivational speaker Eric Thomas says “When you want something as bad as you want to breath”.

There's a few certainties in this life. One being that there's going to be pain and failure and plenty of them, so get used to it! The majority of people give up as soon as things get rough. Hell most people give up way before that just at the thought of things being difficult. Whether that be a fight inside the ring or the everyday fight that is life. This is a reason the majority of the world settles for mediocrity. I can't say that I blame them. There's nothing fun about pain, fatigue, failure and most don't want to think about it let alone face and overcome it.

For me it's easy, this is what I love and this is what I know I was put on this earth to do win, lose or draw and I'm going to give it everything that I have, and more, no matter what. When it's all said and done only I know if I gave it my all and I'm the one that has to live with it. I'm the one that has to look myself in the mirror everyday. I'm the one that knows the truth deep down. It doesn't matter how good or bad the public thinks I did. All that is just for people's egos anyway. There's only one person that can truly judge effort and that's you.

I had a fight once when I was an amateur and for a brief moment in there I held back. Obviously the only person that knew this was happening was me but when I looked back on that moment it made me nauseous. I promised myself from then on out to never again hold back, to never again allow anything to keep me from giving it my all in there. I don't care what happens to me, as long as I'm breathing I'm fighting, and if I stop you better hope it's permanent cause if not I'm coming back at you as soon as I start up again. But hey, that's just me.

I don't expect everyone to be this way. Sure from my point of view it's easy to think someone's acting like a little bitch or being a coward but that's because I look at it from my way of thinking. Not everyone goes in there to put their life on the line, and I don't expect them to. However I think if you're not going in there with that mentality then you will always hold something back. No matter what, when things get brutal in there, as they eventually will, you will never be able to give it your all cause you are holding on to that last little bit and that's what separates certain fighters from the rest. To me it's easy, no one's safe, no one's guaranteed a win, no one's guaranteed anything. Whether you give it your all or play it safe, anything can happen so you might as well go in there and throw caution to the wind. At least you will be able to hold yourself up with pride knowing that there was nothing more you could have done.

What do you want your legacy to be? What do you want to be remembered for? When all the fans have gone, when the phone has stopped ringing and the feeling of victory has faded away, you are going to be left all alone with the knowledge of what it is that you truly gave. Make it worth remembering!

Face your fears, live your dreams”

We all gotta go out, I refuse to sit on my stool and let it happen, I'm going out fighting”-El Presidente'


No comments:

Post a Comment