Sunday, August 31, 2014

Time

When I fought on Lion Fight 15 in Connecticut I found myself constantly baffled by the commissions overall lack of knowledge when it came to...well just about everything. This isn't exactly a new thing but I'm still left in aw each and every time. Throughout the entirety of the weigh ins I just kept asking myself, “How is it even possible that you are this clueless?” It really seemed as if this was their first time ever working fights. Anytime I would question them or give a suggestion as to how they might be able to improve something I was always met with, "we've been doing this for 20 years...etc, etc.", as if the amount of time you put in somehow automatically equates to proficiency. No matter how clearly ineffective or inefficient what they were doing was they just refused to admit it or even attempt to improve...woosah!



You see this a lot in the fight game, as I'm sure you do in any other walk of life. Whether it be the fighters, commissions, judges, promoters, etc. Just because you have been doing something for a long period of time does in no way mean that you have been doing it correctly. I'll see someone who has been training, even longer than myself at times, and just be amazed because from watching them I would have assumed that they were only a beginner.



It's not about the time that you put into something, it's about the quality of the time that you put in. People will spend hours upon hours in the gym thinking that the more they do the better they will be when in reality they probably could have gotten the same benefit within an hour or so if they would have only used that time wisely.



Now don't get me wrong most of us, including myself, will fall into the "more is better" way of thinking, and in the beginning I would actually agree. You need to put the hours in and pay your dues, but over the years you should be able to maximize your efficiency as you increase your knowledge and skill level. It's not about time, it's about quality time.



If you look at anyone that has made it to a high level, in just about anything, they all share a common trait, among many others, the fact that they never stop learning. If you ever hope to reach the top then realize that there is always more to learn. Whether you just started or you've been doing this for a lifetime, always strive for perfection. It can never be reached so therefore you will continue to grow and improve.



One thing I always try to instill in people that I teach is that you should be able to learn from everyone, regardless of their skill level, even if it's what not to do. The more you can do this the more you can grow even if you don't have the best people around you. There should never be a point where you think to yourself “I got this down”, if there is then you should smash your head into a wall. There's no such thing as perfection because even if reached at that very second it start to diminish. You don't just get to a level and stay there. You must continually sharpen all of the skills that got you there in the first place, and that's just in order to maintain it. If you ever hope to reach new heights then you can never stop learning and learning as much as possible each and everyday. Muay Thai is a never ending journey, that's what makes it so great in my mind, and this can be applied to every area of you life.






The end

“Face you fears, live you dreams”

-El Presidente'

No comments:

Post a Comment